Thursday, September 11, 2008

Critical Theory and the Academy

Hello all out there. Starting a blog (or really any writing) is always a bit awkward, so I'll avoid tapdancing around that and just say something really strange so the rest of it goes smoothly from there. Does anybody know any way to dodge level 3 sex offender status? Oh, I'm asking for a friend, I swear.

Ahem. Alright. So, what do I foresee my blog becoming? Intelligent and fun. First I'll need to become intelligent (teah me, O Wise Professor), then I'll need to learn how to include pictures and such so as to make it fun. Actually, it looks like that might be pretty simple. But that can wait. Really, I would like to be able to put a somewhat witty tilt on what we're looking at in class without sacrificing any of the important aspects of the class content. This provides adequate segway into my next point for discussion in this entry: What do I already know about theory?

I suppose I've been gradually developing literary theory since English class became less about vowels and consonants and more about books and thoughts somewhere between my sophomore and junior years of high school. For a while, the only way I could pick up on feminist undertones or Marxist ideas in a text was to wikipedia the hell out of said text. But with some honing of the craft through classes, lots of reading, and my own personal writing, I've reached a point where I can't go into a kids movie or complete a video game without coming out of the experience with my mind exploring such ideas. This isn't at all to say I actually know what I'm doing with theory... I do look forward to being humiliated this semester.

Cheers.

No comments: